As with all the finer things in life, there is a correct and incorrect to way to wear and act around jewellery. To ensure you don’t have a social hiccup we’ve set out our top 10 rules.
- Ignore the bores who say you can’t mix metals, as it’s now totally acceptable to mix platinum and gold jewellery. It is the same as insisting that you mustn’t wear navy with black, or red with orange. Time has changed, and fashions have moved on.
- You shouldn’t wear a ring on your middle finger; it simply is not done. However, The Duchess of Cambridge used to do this before getting married, so maybe this will change in time.
- After you give birth, you get a ‘push’ present. You just do, it’s not negotiable.
- If you are lucky enough to have inherited a set of pearls, wear them. If a necklace and bracelet makes you feel too twinset, have the necklace converted into an ultra chic set of bracelets.
- Less is more; no one wants to see a Christmas tree walking into the room. Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and remove one piece of jewellery. If you have a tendency towards the eccentric, we suggest removing two or three, check again, then repeat.
- Signet rings are for crests – not initials – and should only be worn on the little finger of your non-dominant hand.
- If you have received a family engagement ring and despise it, you may change the setting, but not the stone. There might be family fallout, but at least you’ll have some bling that you want to look at for the rest of your life.
- Eternity rings must have diamonds running the whole way around them, hence the name.
Remember it’s very improper to announce the size and carat of your diamond. The most refined thing to do is to declare you are completely unaware, even though no one will believe you.
- Diamonds or other precious gems are not for the daytime – this includes watches. You may only adorn yourself after dusk. Engagement rings are clearly exempt. However, if you are so filthy rich that you own a diamond hairpiece, then we congratulate you and suggest you wear it whenever the hell you like.